Tuesday, July 7, 2009

drained

Phew. I love our job here at the nursing home, but lately it's been very draining.
Here's my chance to moan out my frustrations!

One of our lesser anxieties is the new lady who doesn't really do much except sit in her room and stare at the wall. She worries over the fact there is too much light in her room. It's somewhat depressing to see her so blank and desolate, and have this constant worried look in her eyes. She refuses to watch TV, read, or any other activity we try to have her do. I really feel bad for her, I can't comprehend what makes someone so out of it. Alzheimer's is a very real and scary thing.
Our biggest anxiety is a lady (let's call her Milda) who is so shaky most of the time she will drop whatever she holds. For days she could not walk at all, and was going undiagnosed with whatever condition she had. Diarrhea, vomiting. It wasn't the prettiest picture (or smell). I really did feel bad for her. It was especially frustrating when this happened over the holiday weekend when all the doctor's offices were closed. Even on our one day off the worker woke us up twice in the middle of the night to help her pick up Milda after she had fallen like dead weight on the ground.

Meanwhile, we haven't gotten a stress-less night of sleep for the past week due to this, and she's not showing any improvement. They've finally diagnosed her with a bladder infection (which I suspected from the start) and she is on antibiotics. She still cannot walk, and she will fall involuntarily out of her bed in her sleep. Every morning I find her on the floor.

I guess you have to be there to see it. I just get upset because her family is kind of oblivious to how bad she is sometimes. I can't stand to see someone suffer, so I spend alot of time in her room just fixing things up and organizing things because she can't do it herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment