Saturday, August 20, 2011

Partay in the heat!

It's so freaking hot here!!!!! I can't believe we are finally starting that chapter in our lives that always seemed f-o-r-e-v-e-r away!

I'm a teacher. It's legit. I remember in elementary school wondering why someone would ever want to teach because then school would never end. Now that I have been teaching for one week, I sometimes asked myself the same question! It was a crazy week, but I absolutely loved it. It feels right. My students are brilliant and eager to learn (so far!) and I really feel like I'm a part of the community.

Haven't seen the hubs in a few weeks. I'm anxious to squeeze him until he bursts tomorrow when I pick him up at the airport! Poor guy has been slaving away at unsuccessful door-to-door sales for the past month. Prior to that he was still slaving away at door to door sales, but it was going pretty nicely. Just goes to show that commission = you're never sure what you're gonna get. One week you feel filthy rich. Then the following 5 weeks you wish you had never spent any of the money. At least we were in Hawaii! SO glad that worked out. It was a great summer. Plus we avoided the Arizona sun as long as possible!!! Now Rich has to conquer dental school. I think he can do it. I just have no idea who's going to cook and clean between the two of our busy schedules.


So I learned a few things about the over-rated state of Hawaii. I thought I'd share a few pointers.
Tips on living in Hawaii:
  1. Living in Hawaii is completely different from vacationing in Hawaii. Never move here unless you have tons of family close by and you don't mind being secluded from the rest of the known world.
  2. Don't buy produce. It costs a lot.
  3. Don't bother buying any groceries. It's cheaper to just eat out. Food costs a lot.
  4. Even then, don't eat out unless it's after 10pm and all of the food at the bar is half off. Bonus: free Karaoke!
  5. Don't fly to the mainland 3 times and back in one summer. It costs a lot.
  6. Don't give any money to beach bums unless they ask for it. They are 'beach bums' for a reason.
  7. Close your windows at night, otherwise when it rains you will encounter a giant swarm of termites racing towards your lights. They will climb inside and proceed to die while their wings all fall off into flaky-filmy piles on your bed.
  8. Snorkel every chance you get. It's beautiful and you never know what you might see each time you go. Just realize the prettiest things will always be out when you're sleeping in.
  9. Don't let the undertow of the giant waves kill you.
  10. Take lots of pictures and train your husband to take some when you leave. (this could possibly be the hardest thing to master....)

That's about it!










No comments:

Post a Comment