Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hawaii---again

So it turns out our Phoenix selling experience went a little downhill, but we are very happy to be selling in Hawaii now! It's been a great experience so far. It's a great market and of course a beautiful place. I have to be honest, we don't have much time to sight see because we don't have a car (or we share a rental car with a bunch of different salesmen), but it doesn't matter because we have already seen the best parts of this big island anyway :-)

Before we left our home in phoenix, it was a relief to have our appliances set up and running and most of our things unpacked and ready to go. It's a nice clean slate, because we still don't have furniture or even a TV so hopefully we can make enough money to fix that problem once the summer is over. In the meantime, we are staying in a small, very old hotel here in Hilo on the more industrial side of the island. We can see sailboats and a beautiful ocean view out our window. You just have to ignore the factories on either side of us that are kind of an eyesore.

The Hawaiian people are very interesting. They call anyone who is older than them "Auntie" or "Uncle", and they are very kind and easy to talk to. They are kind of suspicious/ not as fond of any company that is from the 'mainland' as they call the rest of the states......they care more about local businesses. However, we have had the most success on this island compared to the others that have offices on them. We are actually #8 in the company out of 60 or so. There are a couple other girls that are selling along with me, so I feel like I'm not the only chick working at this job.

Most people here are Asian and retired, so those are the ones who really need a security system/ medical pendant. There has been an increase in crime, because the homeless hang out at the public parks and bathrooms and then steal fruit from people's backyards. It's kind of weird!

The important thing to me is that even though rich and I are both working, we still get to spend time together and help each other out. If I were in Phoenix while he still sold, I would be so lonely.

Speaking of which, I miss my family terribly. So in July I am actually flying to indiana to see them!!!

Well, I gotta go so rich can use the computer. In the meantime I will try to get the hotel lady to sweep up the flying termites that have died on our bedroom floor. Kind of gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment