Sunday, September 26, 2010

I miss poetry....

This weekend my entomology class went on a field trip to Lytle Ranch in southern Utah, and on the way down I was sitting next to a sweet girl named Emily. She said she likes to write poetry, and is learning the guitar so she can put her words to song. I was really charmed. I used to love poetry so much more, and I was telling her how I used to write poems whenever I was feeling angsty or dark. I never really enjoyed writing happy poems, I mainly liked the weird ones....my favorite ones were by Sylvia Plath or e. e. cummings. I remember when Eric O. dumped me in highschool, I wrote him a poem....he thought I was weird. But I laugh now.

I found this cute poem by Tennyson, though, and thought I'd share it.

The Flower
BY
Lord Alfred Tennyson


Once in a golden hour
I cast to earth a seed.
Up there came a flower,
The people said, a weed.

To and fro they went
Thro' my garden bower,
And muttering discontent
Cursed me and my flower.

Then it grew so tall
It wore a crown of light,
But thieves from o'er the wall
Stole the seed by night.

Sow'd it far and wide
By every town and tower,
Till all the people cried,
"Splendid is the flower!"

Read my little fable:
He that runs may read.
Most can raise the flowers now,
For all have got the seed.

And some are pretty enough,
And some are poor indeed;
And now again the people
Call it but a weed.

How do people write stuff like this? It's such a gift. I don't think I could conjure up a poem anymore---at least not right now. I either don't have enough wit, courage, or emotion to do it....the emotions I feel the most now include simple joy and satisfaction, being married to Richard thus far has been pretty easy and carefree. I have no major worries, I am pretty bland in a sense. It's something to be grateful for. I guess I could write a happy poem? A poem about my dreams for the future? A poem for my future kiddies? I don't know! But I think I might step up to the challenge. Maybe you'll see a poem by me on here, someday soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment